Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Eagle and the Deer

So, this story is somewhat disgusting, but fascinating at the same time. Last Friday, the dogs got out and brought back part of a deer. It is hunting season, and there are hunters all over the area. Well, I refused to mess with it, and when I looked outside a little bit later, there was this eagle sitting on the part of the carcass. The kids and I all watched him from the window, until Brianne got so excited, she snuck downstairs, opened the front door, and he flew away.
About 2 hours later, I again looked out the window, and the sight I saw was amazing. There were three buzzards, all with their backs to the carcass. The had their winds spread out as far as they would go, and their heads were tilted up to the sky, like they were warning anything else to go away. They had formed a tight circle around the carcass. Well, again, on top of the carcass was the eagle. It was as if they were protecting him while he was eating. It was the neated sight. Of course I couldn't get my camera quick enough for that shot.

No comments: